Sunday, June 6, 2010

Have You Ever Been.....

This is serious. I wouldn't believe this story if it hadn't happened to me.

I can now classify myself as one of the few people who have survived an attack by a wild animal and have lived to tell about it!

NO REALLY....ATTACKED!! And I'm still here, thankfully.

As Paul Harvey would say, "And now for the Rest of the Story!"

Sunday morning the dog (i.e. Ripley because Dot would never do such a thing) wakes me up with her incessant whining. "Stupid dog." I mutter as I climb out of bed, much to early for my liking.

I open the kennel door, take the girls downstairs and outside for their morning bio break. For those of you familiar with where I live, it is out in the country, and wildlife is plentiful. I have seen everything from elk and deer, to badgers and rattlesnakes, but never have I run out of fear for my safety......that was until.........


IMG_8384



I understand why park rangers in Yellowstone insist that you "DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS!!"

Greedy wildlife soon consider you their sole source of food...hummingbirds are no exception. That stupid red hanging feeder was my demise simply because it was empty. Because my mother had gone to church and left her little birds destitute and without food, they figured me for the sucker. I ignored the litany of bird chatter and reminded the dogs that they needed to poop and pee (I forget sometimes too).

On this morning, the hummingbirds would not be ignored, and with a vengeance I have never experienced before, they struck!


IMG_9047



You know the outcome...I survived. Unfortunately though, my safe release was predicated upon refreshing the Savage Birds supply of sugar water, which I dutifully accomplished...

Please, for your own safety, and the safety of those around you, listen to wildlife experts and DON'T FEED THE ANIMALS!

No comments:

Post a Comment