Saturday, August 7, 2010

Drums Along the Rockies

July 10, 2010

Drum Corps days of summer are here and Jon and I had the opportunity to go to a show for the first time in five years. Drums Along the Rockies is very special because it's the home show for the Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corp.


You may be wondering, what’s so special about Drum Corp and why do you care so much?

Well let me tell you…

One of my good friends from high school, Lisa Reederman, was planning on auditioning for the Blue Knights in November of our senior year of high school. Simply put, she didn’t want to go to auditions alone and I don’t blame her, it can be a pretty daunting experience. So she invited the best member of our high school color guard to go with her – nope, it wasn’t me, it was Sarah.  Lucky for me Sarah didn’t want to go so she settled for me and I’m so glad she did.

We went to the camp and although I was in the Color Guard and she was in the Drum Line we spent every moment possible together. Long story short we both made it and our lives were changed forever. We made so many great friends and even more memories that we love to reminisce about to this day.

I made one very special friend – Jon…yup, that’s right – I met my husband at that first BK camp. When we met we didn’t fall head over heels in love, but rather we became good friends.  That’s how it stayed for a few years until one of our mutual friends, Freddy, told us we would be perfect together and the rest is history.

… and that’s why Drum Along the Rockies is so special for us. It reminds us of when we were young. When we met and when we fell in love. It gives us the opportunity to see all those friends we made over the years and gives us one night to catch up, tell stories, and be grateful that we get to go home to our soft beds and clean water. To all of our BK family, thank you for the good times and bad. Thank you for the blood, sweat, tears, and laughter. But most of all thank you for being a part of the first chapter of our great love story.
                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment