Saturday, January 22, 2011

Had a bad day...

It all started with a trip to the local market, think farmers market and a flea market together and then miniaturized.  I thought it was going to be awesome getting to spend the morning with Jon walking hand in hand to the market, picking out a few days worth of fruits and veggies while happily talking to the locals before we leisurely stroll home.  Well it didn't happen that way, we were stressed the dogs weren't behaving and we were running late.  While this wasn't ideal, this isn't what made me have a bad day but it did set me up to be way more sensitive for what was to come.



We got home and in our mail box was a letter from the landlord... 

Now before I go on let me give you a little background.  I have always felt like I wasn't good enough and when I say that I mean; smart, pretty, funny, tall, skinny, nice, assertive, popular - I could go on but I'll spare you.  Since the day Jon came into my life nearly 14 years ago, he's been working with me on these insecurities and while I feel like I've made HUGE strides this is still a tender spot.

...Jon opened the letter and began typing it into Google translator while I read over his shoulder.  When the words your wife popped up on the screen my heart sank and all my insecurities came flooding back.  They were complaining about me.  I started to cry. This transition has been really hard for me.  I don't know the language as well as I would like so I haven't been able to meet people and make friends as easily as I normally can and now this. My neighbors had been complaining to the landlord about me.  Jon of course told me it wasn't a big deal and to stop crying.  He asked me, like he has for so many years, why it was upsetting me so much.  I told him how hard this has been for me and how I don't have any friends here and he said just like he always has, "Don't get upset.  Stop worrying about what other people think.  Everything's going to be fine." 

The main complaint of the letter was about the girls - mostly Ripley - barking.  So Jon and I are taking all the steps we can to get them to stop and I have to say they must feel our urgency because as of right now, 9:00 P.M., Ripley has only barked once, well really barked - she did do this little I want to bark noise but I'm not counting that.  As for the complaint about me, I guess it's unacceptable to shake your rugs out the window - duly noted, I won't do it again.  So hopefully our mean neighbor will stop complaining and Jon won't get any more letters.

And fine it will be.  

Charmian 

No comments:

Post a Comment